Growth Mindset



Now, what is a growth mindset? To have a growth mindset means that you can do anything you want as long as you work hard on it. It means that you can achieve absolutely anything once you set your mind to it. A positive mindset is about gaining new skills based on the stive to put the effort into developing those skills, whether you are a beginner or an expert, there is always room to improve. 

The opposite of a growth mindset is a fixed mindset. A fixed mindset is the number one reason why one's self-esteem or confidence in a subject may be low. Individuals with a fixed mindset believe that those with "talent" or "skills" were born with those abilities and that other beginner individuals may never gain those skills. What I have already known before watching the videos by Carol Dweck and reading the articles is the fact is that there is a difference between a characteristic and a skill. Characteristics are traits you are born with. For example, I am an empathetic person, that is a characteristic. However, I am a stubborn person, which is also a characteristic, it is said that I have that trait from my Dad's side  I was BORN with those traits. A skill is something that you develop over time. For example, I played guitar ever since I was 12 years old, gradually I got better at it and I ended up getting top marks in my leaving cert practicals.  I wasn't born with a musical note. In fact, none of my family ever played an instrument before me. 

What I had learned after watching the video was how it is scientifically proven that praising one's efforts provides better improvement than praising abilities and intelligence. The most positive form of praise is focus, effort, process, and strategy. What I also didn't know was that based on Dweck's study is that individuals with a fixed mindset struggled more during a "difficult" test. They have been doing tasks that equate to their ability lacking any room to grow, this did not prepare them for the harder test. This is something I especially could relate to from my academic experiences.

After looking at the videos, articles, and studies provided in this video, I am now curious to explore my abilities in my college subjects, and has encouraged me to try out some new hobbies that I have not been confident enough to try out before. I will absorb the information and use it to commit to self inprovement in my personal, social and academic life

Comments

Popular Posts