Emma's Game Brainstorm



1. Educational Games

19 '90s Computer Games That Made Learning Unbelievably Fun (bustle.com)

My inspirations for these games come from those educational school games one would have played as a kid. One game I weirdly enough found inspirational for this is Baldi's Basics (but my game would be more convenient of course). Baldi Basics is more of a parody of basic 90's school games... where the teacher asks the player impossible math questions and gets angry when the player gets the question wrong and chases the student in the school. It's more of a horror game. I may not even have a teacher character for this idea. A 3D schoolroom could be made where the player can click on the book and answer do some interesting quizzes or answer some questions. To make the game more interesting I would start the game off with easy questions in each subject, then the next level would include harder questions. However, the player would unlock achievements every time they learned something new. This includes learning how to do something with the controller etc. 


I was thinking the target audience of my games would be this year's college students. And the quizzes and questions could be about the modules in our course. I would include some theory-based questionnaires (like Kahoot but in a 3D 90's school game style). The Player would need to answer 3 questions from each module. If they get all the questions right, they can be put through to the next level. To make the gamer experience more relatable to the player I may include some easter eggs in my game like coffee cups or masks or laptops and more.




2. Racing Games

Learn To Create A Racing Game With Unity & C# | Udemy

One type of video game I have always found interesting is car racing games. I feel there is a way to unwind and concentrate on your car on the road. I was always comforted by the vibrations coming from my controller whenever I drove on Grand Theft Auto. But I know that may be wishful to include. I would have about 3 levels in the game. Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert. I have 3 different options for how I would program this game. For the first option, the more you advance, the more cars you will race against. In the beginner level, the player would be racing against 3 other cars, in the intermediate, the player would race against 6 other cars, and in the expert level, the player would be racing against 9 other cars. My second option is that for all three levels the player will race against only three cars, but the cars would get faster as the levels progress. My final option is like a reverse to the first option. It would be like a championship or a contest. The player will start in the beginner's stage racing against 8 other cars (so 9 all together). If the player gets 6th place or higher, that individual will be put through to the intermediate stage, again racing against the other 5 cars that surpassed 6th place. Then if that player gets 3rd place or above, they are through to the expert stage, the final. They will race the other two cars. If they surpass those two cars in the race, the player wins. I believe that the tutorial I completed this week on moodle can be useful for a game like this. 




3. Running Obstacles

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4UezTfGBADC6Li-b8uPptn1JsgFzUoXs

(Copying and pasting the link above will immediately access a playlist that will descrie how to create games like Subway Surfers)

Unity 2019.2 - Endless Runner Tutorial (Subway Surfers/Temple Run) - 01 - YouTube

The inspiration for this game comes from Subway Surfers or Temple Run. I prefer Subway Surfers myself even though it is the same setting as Temple Run. The reason I prefer Subway Surfers is that I felt the little boosters the player could get were more interesting and had better effects. I feel I could implicate a game like this in my 3D Game. There are a couple of ways I was thinking of doing this. 


This could be done as a police chase. the player could drive away from the cop cars like in Grand Theft Auto but in a setting like Subway Surfers. The boosters for the car would be to go faster or to set a trap on the cop cars that will slow them down. The obstacles for the car could be the other cars driving. If the player bumps into any of the other cars, the cops could catch up, and then if the player bumps into another car shortly after, the cops crash into them and they lose. If they crash, they lose as well and must restart the game.


This could be a character doing a daily run (like exercising). Nothing could be chasing them but I could code in a health bar and the rule is that the player cannot lose energy. I will incluse some boosters including fruit and water. The obstacles could incluse bumping into people. If they run out of breath, they lose. The player must be careful on how much speed they are using. I feel if I use this setting for my idea, it could educate the players on what is the healthiest way to be getting fit. The message of the game could hit at home for people to go their own pace. The reward is also that if the player succeeds in exceeding how many miles, the player's character will be able to run faster the next time the character plays (meaning that the character is getting fitter and healthier)


4. Hide and Seek Horror game. 

Learning to Make a Game in Unity 3D | Slenderman Style | Unity for Absolute Beginners - YouTube

The inspiration from this game came from Among Us. This is because one time when I was playing Among Us with some college friends, one of them suggested we play hide and seek through Among Us. We would let each other know who the imposter was and the rest of us would have to hide until everyone dies (none of us decided to do tasks, at the time because I was only starting and didn't know how to do some of them). However, I could implicate tasks into this game. Or implicate pages or items the players need to collect to escape the "Seeker". Like in Slenderman where the player has to collect all 8 pages to win. However, the only disadvantage to this is that this could be too difficult on the Seeker/Imposter. 


Unless I made the game like Slenderman and Among Us. Where it could be a one-player game and instead of collecting pages, they had to do tasks. Like in Among Us. they could need to do tasks such as taking out the garbage, connect electrical wires. Or, even do originally thought ones like, flush a toilet or find keys, etc. 


The Setting of this game would be Horror. If I could not include sound I could just include jumpscares. For example, if the Seeker was coming I would include "Warning" little jumpscares that would warn the player that the seeker is nearby. maybe something in the room would fall or one of the fuzzy screen effects at the end of a Slenderman Game.


The Setting of this game could be in an abandoned Shopping center. Not a terribly big one but a small one. Perhaps my inspiration look of a shopping center could be not similar-looking but an abandoned Liffey Valley or Navan Shopping Centre (even Navan could be too small). Small enough for there not to be too many tasks but big enough that the Seeker would find it difficult to find the player.

Comments

  1. Good ideas Emma. I'd definitely play a game that involved escaping from the Navan shopping center.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great ideas Emma! I personally love the Racing game idea! I loved racing games growing up, they were definitely some of my favourite games to play. I would always play the racing games in arcades because they were the most fun. I really love the idea of having the race against more cars the more you advance in the game!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts