Time Strategies

 


A key skill that is vital for success. Not just academic success, but success within yourself. Time Management,

We will have a number of tasks to do every week for this module, along with the project. The weekly tasks involve readings that we have to blog on, Twitter tasks, Blogger work etc. What I am beginning to learn is that the most important way to successfully manage these tasks is to work ahead of time, even that way you'll have time to do the extra credit tasks. (Personal: I was also advised to get every task done at least 2 days before the due date. That way you will be able to get feedback easier, even if you're not motivated, DRAG yourself to, you'll thank yourself later.). Now to be completely honest, my time managment was really poor last year. While I am proud of the grades I received, it was the WAY i got them that was the problem... I left things to the last minute (literally sometimes rather than figuratively) and if I knew I was behind in a module, I would not want to think about it because I did not want to confront my struggles, which made me REALLY behind. So, this is an important topic for me to research.

An interesting article I read gave some helpful tips to improving time management. In the article "Time Management Tips Just for Creatives" by Amanda Oliver, she mentions some aspects of time management that gave me a whole new perspective. She mentions that your ENERGY has to be managed just as much as your time. Which I understand, the two go together, you should put energy into high value tasks. It's prioritising well. It also works to do tasks in a suitable enviroment. Where you work best. Personally, I am good at working outside home in a quiet room. Also, do your LEAST favourite topics first and your favourite topics last. The most important topic in my opinion that should be tackled in my opinion when it comes to time management is the dreaded...

Procrastination

Now I would be lying if I said I don't do this. Even people who know me personally (y'all know who you are)... just KNOW what I waste my time on. My issues with managing time STEM from procrastination. Before I do my work I can take a quick check on Facebook, then I see a Buzzfeed article "Oh... what kind of zodiac am I based on my favourite food, this will be interesting", then 3 hours later I find myself on Reddit researching the creepiest real life horror stories. I also looked at another article called "Four questions to help you overcome Procrastination" by Peter Banerjea. His advice can just solve this problem. The biggest obstacle is getting started. When you actually begin the task, it doesn't feel as bad as you thought ot would be according to Dr. Tim Pychyl, you're more likely to get the work finished. I heard a great saying once "A good start is half the work". Maybe in a literal sense its illogical but in a figurative sense... it's just right. You've now gotten the hard part done.

Now as much as I don't like sounding pessimistic... another great point Banjera's article made was to ask yourself "What Will go worng if I don't do this now". This was the question I wanted to avoid in semester 2 last year.. Seriously, think about it "Imagine the stress I will put myself under if I leave this off, it'll most likely snowball" then imagine the relief you'll have in the future if you actually DO the work now "Wow, I am so glad I got that done weeks ago". I used to be a lot better at time managent. I got assignments in early, good grades and more time to chillax. Billionaire Bill Gates, asks himself that question, then channels those thoughts into action, he prepares, plans and gets proactive. Fear is an amazing thing when handled right, if a bear was running after you, you would use your fear and anxiety to take action and run. 


Those are my thoughts on Time Mangement. 

Comments

Popular Posts