Learning Challenge: HEART Empathy

 


I have learned more about Empathy this week for the HEART challenge. Despite my weaknesses, I often get considered an empathetic person. Do I think this is true... perhaps? I try to be empathetic because I believe everyone should be as empathetic as they can possibly be. No matter the situation, you'll never know how much it helps a person when you put yourself into the other person's shoes and consider that when it comes to your response. 

I watched a video for this task. The video was about a study that has been done on how people respond to the story of a fathers perspective on his little boy who has cancer, playing happily outside blissfully unaware that he doesn't have long left. What did I feel after listening to the story? It would be simple to say I felt sad and this video takes a deeper look into the response. I actually felt more than sad, I felt quite overwhelmed hearing about this story, because I knew that this is sadly a true story for many. I learned that after hearing something like this, the brain produces something called "Cortisol" which focuses our attention on the story and is very linked to distress. It can be argued that naturally, the average person can easily pay closer attention to what distresses them, whether they like it or not. This is where it made sense for me. It also produces Oxytocin which is the same as care and empathy. It stuck with me why Cortisol and Oxytocin would be linked... It is a distressing scenario that no one would ever want to happen... and that causes individuals to empathize. 

I also read an article about some students writing to their teacher with the saying "I wish my teacher knew...". This was overwhelming as well. I related to the second one, thinking back when I was in school. The other two letters were sad to read as well, I cannot imagine or even want to imagine being in those situations as an adult, never mind a child. I feel as though some good ways to practice empathy while respecting people's privacy are talking to the individual who you are concerned about, with no judgment and complete compassion, and taking further steps if needed. 

I don't know if I have a specific story when it comes to empathy, however, I am in a couple of group projects this year where we are all learning to see things from each other's perspectives whenever it comes to a disagreement or a discussion. Not only does the practice of empathy work when it comes to personal relationships, but it also works when it comes to the performance of tasks. In my opinion, it should not matter how deep the situation really is, by seeing things from other people's point of view, it can improve communication skills immensely. You don't have to agree with them completely, however, it can give you more of a middle ground to a rational mindset. 


Comments

Popular Posts